INSTRUCTIONS FOR COMPLETING PETITION FOR GUARDIANSHIP OF A MINOR
Total Fee: $87.00
Please read these instructions before you complete forms.
- Fill out the attached forms completely before filing your petition. Print all required information. Fill in all blanks completely. If you are petitioning for guardianship of more than one minor, separate petitions must be completed. All petitions, however, will be filed under one case number.
- If you are unable to pay the filing fee, affidavits to sue or defend as a poor person are available in the Circuit Clerk’s office. All affidavits must be approved by the Probate Judge.
- List both parents and their current or last-known addresses.
- Any parent who does not sign an entry of appearance agreeing to the guardianship must be served with the petition and notice of hearing. Arrangements must be made with the Sheriff’s Department for service. The required service fee must be paid to the Sheriff (unless your fees are waived by the court).
- If a parent’s whereabouts are unknown, you must obtain service on him/her by publication in a local newspaper – unless excused by the court for cause.
- You must submit a bond with surety unless the guardianship is of the person only.
- Your hearing date will be approximately 7 to 9 weeks after your completed petition is filed with the Circuit Clerk.