Wednesday, February 1st: Summer Food Service Program Informational Session
The Illinois State Board of Education, Nutrition and Wellness Division, in partnership with the University of Illinois Extension Service, will be providing information on how to participate in summer food programs for school-age children. Click here for more information on how to get involved.
Madison County Green Schools Program
What are Green Schools?
Green schools are healthy, safe, resource-efficient schools that educate citizens while saving energy, resources, and money.
What is the purpose of the Green Schools Program?
The purpose of the Green Schools Program is to serive residents, students, and schools in the development of healthy, safe, resource-efficient learning institutions and educate while saving energy, resources, and money.
Each school's approach differs, but all green schools share a common goal of helping area students contribute to their own healthy communities and achieve a successful future.
1. Answer the Call: Schools designate a building coordinator or gather a "green team" of faculty and/or staff.
How does the Madison County Green Schools program work?
2. Take Inventory: Schools take note of their current environmentally-friendly practices and create a plan for that year. The Madison County Green Schools coordinator offers resources and support to help schools develop a program based on their resources and interests. Plans can be large or small-- every action counts! For a comprehensive list of options, click here.
3. Make it Happen: Building coordinators and schools then carry out their individual plans for that school year. The Madison County Green Schools Coordinator provides resources and support.
4. Celebrate! Schools will be recognized (throughout the year and at the end of the school year) for their efforts. Recognition may be in the form of receiving an Earth Flag and/or monetary awards for the building coordinator, students, school or more!
How does my school get started?
- PDF: School Information Form (Required for stipend)
- PDF: Benchmarking Worksheet (Required for stipend)
- PDF: Green Goals (Required for stipend)
End of Year Reporting
At the end of each academic year, Green School Coordinators are asked to report back regarding their school’s sustainability activities and feedback on the County’s Green Schools Programs.
Due Date: Reporting should be completed by April 22.
Link: Reporting Form
Where can I get more information?
- PDF: Green Schools Program Overview
- PDF: Green Team Invite Letter
- PDF: County-Sponsored Program Descriptions
- PDF: 101+ Ways to Green your School
Coordinator Contact Information:
Green Schools Coordinator
Phone: (618) 296-4606
157 N. Main Street, Suite 254
Edwardsville, IL 62025