The Veterans’ Service Officer aids Veterans, Service Members, families, and widows with regard to all benefit-related filings. Most notably are filings for VA service-connected compensation and pension claims, health care benefits, and Aid and Attendance (A&A) pension benefits.
Those in need of Administrative Case Work should call to schedule an appointment.
Administrative Case Work and Advocacy-Related Services:In limited situations, if your work hours do not allow you to make an appointment during the VAC's normal business hours, staff can make arrangements to open the office outside these hours. If you are housebound, staff can arrange to meet at your home.
- Veterans’ Benefits Administration (VBA) compensation and pension claims filing
- Veterans’ Health Administration (VHA) health care benefits enrollment
- Aid and Attendance (A&A) pension benefits
- Assistance in obtaining military records and medical documentation
- Pre-Need National Cemetery Burial Eligibility Program
- Assistance in obtaining private burial headstone, marker, or medallion
- Local, state, and federal benefits filing
- Application and forms processing
- Semiweekly Vet Center one-on-one counseling
- Weekly Vet Center group counseling (Cottage Hills VFW)
- Assistance creating an eBenefits account and obtaining a VA Benefits Verification Letter for Disability Homestead Property Tax Exemption
- Community resource referrals, as needed
- Specialized information and referral services
- Collection of and proper disposal of flags that are unserviceable
Documentation Typically Needed to Assist in Filing Claims:
- True certified copy of DD-214 (discharge papers from the military)
- Marriage certificates
- Birth certificates (required for dependents under age 18)
- Death certificates
- Medical information (names and contact information of physicians)
Off-Site Outreach Locations and Hours:
- Alton River of Life Family Church on the 1st Wednesday of the month from 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Cottage Hills VFW on the 1st, 2nd, and 4th Thursdays of the month from 10:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- Granite City The Fountains at Granite City on the 3rd Wednesday of the month from 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Wood River VFW on the 3rd Thursday of the month from 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Highland American Legion on the 4th Thursday of the month from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Walk-ins are welcome at outreach events; however, appointments are suggested.