Civil Union Licenses


Obtaining a Civil Union License

We have a brochure containing all the information you need to obtain your civil union license.

Download the Civil Union License Brochure in PDF format.

get adobe reader

Order Copies Online

Where to apply:

Office of Debbie Ming-Mendoza, Madison County Clerk, Administration Building, 157 North Main, Suite 109, Edwardsville, IL, 62025

Civil Union Licenses are issued between 8:30 A.M. and 4:30 P.M., Monday through Friday except for holidays.

When to apply:

You and your partner must appear at the Office of the County Clerk.  The license must be obtained at least 1 day prior to being used.  The license is void 60 days after the effective date.  The license must be used in Madison County.

FEE: The fee for a civil union license is $35.00, CASH, checks are not accepted.


AGE: In order to enter a civil union in Illinois, you must be at least 18 years of age.

PROOF OF AGE:  It is necessary to show proof of age when you apply for a civil union license.  A valid Driver's License or State ID is acceptable. 

NON-RESIDENTS: Non-residents cannot obtain a civil union license if said civil union would be void in their state.

RETURN OF LICENSE: The license must be returned to the County Clerk's Office within 10 days after the date of the civil union.  A return envelope is provided.

USE OF CIVIL UNION LICENSE:  The license becomes valid the day after it is issued and is valid for 60 days.  You must have the civil union certified in Madison County.  A person referred to as the officiate will certify the Civil Union.

WHO CAN PERFORM A CIVIL UNION:  A civil union may be performed by a judge, a retired judge of a court of record or in accordance with the rules of any religion, Indian Nation or Tribe provided that any required officiate is in good standing.


Effective November 16, 2020: The Third Judicial Circuit COVID-19 Resurgence Response discontinues wedding or civil union ceremonies through December 4, 2020 and may be reviewed or Modified as circumstances require. (Administrative Order 2020-M-29)

If you wish to have a judge perform your ceremony, arrangements must be made with the Chief Judge's Office by calling 296-4580. Civil unions are performed at the courthouse on Friday. After paying the required $10.00 judges' fee in the Circuit Clerk's Office, Room 118 in the courthouse, you will be directed to the court room where ceremonies are performed.

OBTAINING A CERTIFIED COPY: You can get a certified copy of your civil union license issued in Madison County from the County Clerk's Office.  Include both partner's names, the date of the civil union and the fee of $20.00.  Additional copies of the same license may be obtained for $8.00 each. 

Download the vital records form you will need in PDF format

Submit the form to the following address:

Debbie Ming-Mendoza
Madison County Clerk
PO Box 218
Edwardsville IL  62025
(618) 692-6290

Order Copies Online

DELIVERY FEES: Delivery is provided free by USPS or you may upgrade to FEDEX OVERNIGHT for an additional $30.00.  Delivery payable by major credit card only American Express®, Discover®, MasterCard® or Visa®.