Serving a population of more than 260,000 and an area of 725 square miles,
the Madison County Mental Health Board (MCMHB):
- Was Formed in 1966 ... When voters established a local tax to fund mental health services for county residents.
- Is Called the "708 Board"... Since the referendum approving the annual levied tax (not to exceed .15%) passed under the enabling legislation of the Community Mental Health Act (Illinois House Bill 708).
- Defines/Plans/Funds/Monitors Facilities & Services... Provided to persons/families dealing with mental illness, developmental/intellectual disabilities and/or substance abuse.
- Contracts with 16 Area Service Providers...Funds 27 other programs/services, and a two-person staff, all within an annual budget of under $3 million.
- Is comprised of a diverse group of county residents Representing local groups such as:
- Health Departments
- School Boards
- Medical Societies
- Lay Associations
- Welfare Boards
- Labor/Business/Civic Groups
- Hospital Boards
- The General Public