What Are Green Schools?
Green schools are healthy, safe, resource-efficient schools that educate sustainability-literate citizens while saving energy, resources, and money.
- Creating green, healthy spaces and opportunities both in and around schools
- Using resources sustainably
- Involving children, teachers, and other staff in greening their schools
Each school participates based on its needs and resources, but all share the common goal of helping local children contribute to their own healthy communities and achieve successful futures.
Proud Madison County students show off their prize "trashformations" and plant a "gutter garden".
How Does the Madison County Green Schools Program Work?
- Answer the Call. Schools desinate a building coordinator or create a "green team" of faculty and staff.
- Take Stock. Schools take inventory of their current environmentally-friendly practices by completeing a School Information Sheet and Benchmarking Worksheet. Schools then complete a Green Goals Worksheet to set sustainability goals, however large or small. Madison County's Green School Coordinator provides assistance and information to schools to help them identify achieveable goals, based on their current needs and resources.
- Make it Happen. Building coordinators and schools carry out their sustainability plans for that year. Madison County Green Schools Coordinator is available to offer support and resources.
- Celebrate! Schools are recognized (throughout the year and at the end of the school year) for their efforts. Recognition may include participation in the Green Schools Earth Flag Ceremony, awards, and monetary awards for the building coordinators, students, schools, or more!
If your school currently does not participate in the Madison County program, contact the Madison County Green Schools Coordinator, Eve Drueke, at email@example.com or call 618-296-4606.
Helpful Information and Forms
- PDF: Green Schools Program Overview
- PDF: School Information Form
- Green Schools Benchmarking Doc: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/GSbenchmarking
- PDF: Green Goals
- PDF: Green Team Invite Letter
- PDF: County-Sponsored Program Descriptions
- PDF: MCoGS Calendar of Events
- PDF: Project Ideas
- PDF: 101+ Ways to Green your School
Madison County Specific Programs - Green School Coordinators
Green Schools Resource Fair
Saturday, September 24, 2016, 9-11 am
Southern Illinois University
Morris University Center, MUC Restaurant (2nd Floor)
Madison County Green School Coordinators and their guests are invited to attend a morning packed with Green School and sustainability information. Receive updates on the 2015-16 Madison County Green School (MCoGS) Program plans and events, listen to guest speakers, and take part in a resource vendor and Share Fair.
Register for FREE by September 22: https://2015-green-schools-resource-fair.eventbrite.com
Green Seed Environmental Grant Application
$2,000 max per school (no matching funds required)
The Madison County Green Schools Program, under the guidance of the County Board’s Planning & Development Committee, is announcing Green Seed Funding available to Madison County public, private and parochial schools participating in the Madison County Green Schools Program. Funds can be used to purchase green school project equipment, supplies and services such as recycling bins, recycled content benches, plants, motion sensors, auditing equipment, speaker stipends, hauling of recyclables, etc. To be eligible, applying school must have a completed and submitted their 2015-16 School Information Form, Benchmarking, and Green Goals. Application deadline is November 13, 2015.
- PDF: Guidelines & Application Forms
Green Team & Green Schools Coordinator of the Year Competitions
Applications due March 16, 2016
- PDF: Guidelines & Application Forms
End of Year School Reporting
At the end of each academic year, Green School Coordinators are asked to report back regarding their school’s sustainability activities and feedback on the County’s Green Schools Programs in general. Reporting should be completed by Earth Day, April 22 of that school year.
- Link: Reporting Form
Wednesday, May 25 (tentative), 3:30-5 pm
All Green Schools Coordinators are invited to this time of networking, story sharing, and celebration of another year of the Madison County Green Schools program. Eat, relax and enjoy the company of other Coordinators as we celebrate just how wonderful you each are!
- Link: Online Registration
Other Useful Sustainability Links & Resources
- PDF: Grants & Funding Resources
- PDF: School Outreach Resources
- PDF: Recycling Resources
- PDF: Education Resources
- PDF: Madison County Green Schools Loan Materials