Interim and/or Emergency Veterans' Assistance

Request email notification when page changes

The Madison County Veterans’ Assistance Commission program is one of emergency to provide payments toward the bare necessities of life. The assistance is not designed to be an ongoing financial supportive program over any considerable time. The Veteran must provide proof of Honorable Discharge (DD-214), along with proof of current residency within Madison County, and must meet eligibility guidelines.

Interim and/or Emergency Veterans' Assistance:

  • Rent payments to avoid eviction
  • Utility payments to avoid shut-off
  • Food/Personal Hygiene essentials
  • Indigent burial expenses
  • Homeless/Transitional housing referrals
  • Limited emergency dental assistance
  • Limited Property Tax assistance
  • Other assistance as needed and as available

Find additional help by clicking the icon below:


Veterans' Assistance does NOT include school breaks unless needs arise due to an emergency, such as a natural disaster.

Interim and/or Emergency Veterans' Assistance Program Information:

  • This program is designed to assist Indigent Veterans and their families who meet income guidelines and/or emergency standards of indigence. Standards of indigence are set by the Veterans' Assistance Commission.
  • The Veteran must provide proof of Honorable Discharge (DD-214), along with proof of current residency within Madison County; must complete an application and provide required documentation; and must meet eligibility guidelines.
  • Eligible Veterans will be placed on appropriate paths and must remain compliant with instructions given for programs and services. 
  • All assistance is paid by voucher directly to the vendor. Cash or checks are never provided.
  • Assistance is NOT available to pay past due balances, to turn on/re-connect utilities, or to make down payments/deposits for first and last month's rent.
  • Any payment amounts above any assistance awarded to avoid shut-off/disconnect are the responsibility of the applicant/co-applicant. Proof of payment is required before vouchers can be issued.
  • All eligible applicants must complete a written application and must provide additional documentation.
  • The Veteran and/or spouse must be listed on all utility statements, rental agreements/leases, and any other documents or statements.
  • Financial Assistance does NOT include school breaks unless needs arise due to an emergency, such as a natural disaster.

Documentation Required to Verify Need and/or Indigence:

  • True certified copy of DD-214 (discharge papers from the military with last discharge of Honorable)
  • Proof of Madison County residency (i.e., driver's license or State ID card)
  • Proof of household income (i.e., wage pay stub, retirement pension/compensation statement, Unemployment statement, child support statement, SSI/SSD statement, VA pension/compensation statement, Workman's Compensation statement, W-2 statement, income tax return statement, etc.)
  • All pages of current month's utility bills (i.e., electric, gas, water, sewer, trash, heating oil/fuel, etc.); if bill is on a card, applicant must bring entire card undetached
  • Shut-off/disconnect notice and/or eviction notice
  • Valid mortgage or lease/rental agreement with landlord, address, and contact information
  • Bank statements (i.e., checking and/or savings account statement{s}, IRA statement, mutual fund statement, 401{k} statement, etc.)
  • Food stamp eligibility/denial letter
  • Any other documents as required by the Veterans' Assistance Commission for verification
  • Applicant must have documented proof that household expenses exceeded income for the last thirty (30) days.
  • Applicant must show proof of out-of-pocket medical expenses paid within the last thirty (30) days (i.e., deductibles, co-pays, co-insurance, receipts, etc.) if declaring a medical emergency.

Interim and/or Emergency Veterans' Assistance Eligibility Requirements:

  • True certified copy of DD-214 (discharge papers from the military with last discharge of Honorable)
  • Madison County residency
  • Applicant has an emergency situation, such as a shut-off/disconnect notice and/or an eviction notice

Non-Qualification Information:

  • Reserve/National Guard duty or Release from Active Duty Training
  • Applicant receiving assistance from other governmental agencies (i.e., federal, state, county, or township programs)
  • Applicant who is able to sustain gainful employment
  • Full- or part-time students unless needs arise due to an emergency, such as a natural disaster

Veterans able to work are required to participate in the Veterans' Assistance Commission Transition Program and must register with Southwestern Illinois workNet and Illinois Skills Match. If Veteran is claiming he/she is unable to work, Veteran must apply for Social Security, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), or a VA Pension. Veteran must have a physician’s note describing the disability, the limitations and/or restrictions, and the release date or the anticipated recovery time with return-to-work date.

An applicant must bring completed application packet and required documentation to the VAC office. Applicant will NOT be seen that day. After the application packet is reviewed and a decision is rendered, applicant will be contacted for an appointment.

Veterans' Assistance Commission of Madison County
157 North Main Street, Suite 115
Edwardsville, IL 62025-1963
Phone: 618-296-4554
Fax: 618-692-8958

Copyright © 2015 Madison County, IL
All Rights Reserved..

157 North Main Street,
Edwardsville, IL. 62025
618-296-6200 | Click HERE to Email
Department Contact Information Click HERE
Business Hours:  Monday-Friday, 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM
89°57'28.758"W 38°48'47.095"N